Is urgent care covered by insurance? What you need to know
When you need immediate medical care, the emergency room seem like your only option. However, urgent care clinics may be able to handle some emergencies at more affordable rates.
But will insurance cover your visit to an urgent care clinic? Individual cases may vary but this blog will give you a general idea of the things you need to know.
Do all urgent care centers accept insurance?
No. Not all urgent care centers will take all types of insurance. Many urgent care clinics aren’t in network with major insurance plans. This means that you have to pay your medical bills upfront.
It’s important to understand your insurance coverage before you need urgent care services. Especially if you don’t know what your medical concern might be, a regular trip to urgent care could turn into a much more expensive visit. With complete knowledge of your health insurance plan, you’ll be able to make cost-effective payment plan choices about your health care.
What services does urgent care provide?
Urgent care services vary from center to center and may range from routine to the specific. If there’s a service you’re looking for, check with your insurance provider to make sure they cover it. Knowing what your insurance covers before you arrive prevents any surprise charges or unnecessary paperwork.
Below is a list of urgent care services:
- Evaluation and treatment of non-life-threatening conditions and minor injuries
- Rapid strep test
- Sutures / stitches for minor cuts, wounds, and lacerations
- Casts, splints, and crutches
- Dehydration treatment with IV fluids and IV antibiotics
- Prescription refills and referrals
- TB screening with PPD test or 2-step PPD testing (Mantoux tuberculosis skin test)
- Burn care
- Abscess incision and drainage (I and D)
- Nebulizer treatment for asthma
- Suboxone therapy
- Blood and urine toxicology screens
- Vitamin B12 injections for vitamin B12 deficiency
- Removal and extraction of foreign body from eyes, ears, nose, and skin
- Insect stings
- Blood tests for cholesterol, thyroid, PSA, and more
- Diabetes screening and glucose tests
- EKGs, echocardiograms, and spirometry for lung function
- Cardiac risk assessment
- Obesity treatment and weight loss
- Blood group testing
- FAA pilot flight physicals
- DOT Physicals, DOT card for Commercial Driver’s License (new and re-certification)
- Sports and Camp Physicals
- STD test and treatment
- HIV test
- Pregnancy test
- USCIS immigration physicals, US immigration medical exam (form I-693), or green card medical exams by USCIS-certified civil surgeons.
- Drug/tox screening
- Pre-employment physicals
- On-the-job injuries
- Return-to-work physicals
- Hearing and vision screening
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Does my insurance cover urgent care alternatives?
If you use the Nao Medical app, you have the option of skipping an urgent care visit altogether and using our emergency call or telemedicine service instead. Most insurance providers cover telecare. If your insurance plan doesn’t cover virtual care, it’ll only cost you $60 for a single appointment.
Nao Medical is a participating urgent care center for most major insurance companies. You can take a look at our insurance page for a complete list of plans we accept. Our clinic has been in business for more than 10 years and is in network with most major insurance plans.
If you have more general questions about urgent care and insurance, please feel free to contact us at any time through the Nao Medical app.