Why platonic love is better than romantic love
There are different forms of love. And while the idea of romantic love is important, friendships are essential in life. In fact, having friends is important to stay healthy. Research shows that those with good friends and large social networks are physically and mentally healthier than people who don’t prioritize social connections. This increases their chances of survival by 50% compared with exercise or dieting alone.
In this article, we will explore the difference between platonic love and romantic love and how platonic relationships can be more rewarding than romantic ones.
How platonic love is different from romantic love
Platonic love is defined as a deep bond of friendship or fondness between two people. It is often rooted in shared experiences and interests where trust, respect, admiration – even life satisfaction. They are based on mutual understanding without any romantic or sexual expectations at all.
Romantic love, on the other hand, is a bond between two people filled with admiration, passion and closeness. This type of love also typically involves physical intimacy such as sexual desire or activities such as hugs and kisses, as well as emotional connection. It leads to mutual respect, understanding and loyalty – all key ingredients for long-term relationships or marriages.
Mental health benefits of platonic love
Love comes in many forms, and platonic love is an incredibly important form of affection. In fact, there are many mental health benefits associated with platonic love, including:
- Reduced stress: Platonic love can provide a sense of emotional support and a feeling of security, which can help reduce stress levels.
- Increased happiness: Positive social interactions, including those involved in platonic love, can increase feelings of happiness and overall life satisfaction.
- Improved self-esteem: A supportive and caring platonic relationship can help boost an individual’s self-esteem, self-worth, and confidence.
- Better coping skills: Being involved in a platonic love relationship can help an individual develop better coping skills and resilience in the face of life’s challenges.
- Increased sense of belonging: Having close friends and a wide social network can help reduce feelings of loneliness and social isolation.
- Reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression: Companionate love helps reduce symptoms for those who experience mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression.
- Improved overall mental health: The emotional and social benefits of platonic love can contribute to overall better mental health and well-being.
Physical health benefits of platonic love
While platonic love is primarily associated with mental health benefits, it can also have some physical benefits. Here are some of the physical health benefits of falling in love platonically:
- Lower blood pressure: Close friends offer a sense of relaxation and calmness helping reduce negative emotions like anxiety and anger, which can contribute to high blood pressure.
- Improved immune function: Social support from friendships has been shown to boost the immune system, by helping regulate levels of stress hormones like cortisol, leading to a stronger and more efficient response to illness.
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease: Strong social connections have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease by decreasing stress levels and increasing feelings of support.
- Improved sleep: Positive social interactions with friends can help improve sleep quality. They help reduce cortisol and adrenaline levels which are hormones released during times of stress, therefore resulting in better sleep.
- Reduced risk of cognitive decline: Social support has been associated with reduced risk of cognitive decline and dementia in older adults. Platonic love can foster feelings of gratitude, fondness, and interest which can help keep the brain active and healthy.
Why platonic love can be more rewarding than romantic love
Here are some points that make platonic love more rewarding:
Platonic relationships are special—they provide acceptance and emotional support in an understanding, non-judgmental way. Your friends become a source of comfort during tough times and offer constant encouragement no matter what happens in your life without expectations or judgment.
Platonic relationships encourage openness, honesty, and vulnerability. These are all essential components for authentic self-development. Through honest dialogue and genuine connection, friends can offer each other perspectives they wouldn’t otherwise gain from any other relationship dynamic.
Platonic friendships don’t require any sort of commitment or accountability. It means that you are just there for each other. As a result, you can establish healthy boundaries in your relationship that ensure you both remain comfortable throughout your interactions.
Platonic relationships tend to last longer than romantic ones because they are built on friendship rather than passion and emotion. This type of bond tends to be more stable and dependable because it is based on shared values, experiences, and interests rather than attraction or physical chemistry.
Unlike romantic partners where expectations may exist from both sides, platonic friends understand that each person has their own life outside the relationship which allows for greater exploration and creativity without feeling guilty or obligated to spend time together if either person doesn’t feel like it at the time.
Emotional intimacy without reservations
Friendships offer the opportunity to cultivate deeper emotional intimacy with another person without any expectations or sexual attraction. Cultivating this type of intimate connection helps foster better communication skills in both individuals—which is essential for any kind of relationship—and helps create healthier boundaries between friends when needed.
Platonic relationships are based on unconditional love, unlike romantic relationships which tend to fluctuate based on mood, circumstance, and how your partner is (or isn’t) meeting your needs. You don’t need to worry about hurting feelings or trying to please them. You can just enjoy each other’s company for what it is.
It’s good to have a friend by your side
Platonic love is an incredible form of companionship. By embracing the power of platonic love, you can create fulfilling friendships that enrich your life experiences and keep you healthy. If you or someone close to you needs help navigating any type of relationship difficulties or mental health problems, Nao Medical provides support throughout your mental health journey.