Urgent care for falls: What to do if you fall?
About 50% of falls occur at home. But whether you’re at home or somewhere else, a sudden fall can be startling and upsetting. They’re the most common cause of injury among individuals aged 65 and over.
Here are some tips to remember if you fall:
- Remain calm and take several deep breaths
- Check to see if you have evident injuries
- Roll over slowly and try to sit up
- Kneel if you can, getting up on one knee at a time then stand up using your stronger leg, using a sturdy furniture or wall for support.
- Sit down if there is anything you can sit on
- If you cannot get up, call for help. If you are alone, crawl slowly towards the telephone and call 911.
Tip: Place at least one phone where it can be reached from the floor, in case of emergencies.